One of the traditional starter in my family for Christmas or new year’s eve is Blinis with horseradish cream and smoke salmon. Since I am vegetarian, it was changed to Blinis with horseradish cream and … nothing! Yep, not as mouth watering.
This year, being at my place longer during the holiday I decided to try making some fake salmon based on carrots (what did i had to lose anyway). I read several recipes but none was really inspiring as is, so here is my version. I wanted it easy to make and of course, tasty (at least based on my tastes ;))
Vegan smoked fake salmon (carrots based)
- 250 gr Carrots
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 teaspoon Liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Maple sirop
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon (approx.) Nori seaweed (dried) Cut in small pieces (< 3mm2)
- 1 teaspoon Dill (dried) optional
- Pepper Mix (white, black, green and pink pepper)
Alternative seasoning (replace dill and seaweed)
- 1 tablespoon (approx.) chives
- Cut the carrots in very fine slices. Use a peeler (or other appropriate tool if you have)
- Steam the carrots slices until they start to be soft (ca. 10 minutes)
- In the meantime, prepare the marinade by putting all the ingredients together in a box
- Let the carrots and the water used to steam them to cool
- Add 7 tablespoon of the water used to steam the carrots to the marinade and then add the carrots
- If the marinade does not cover the carrots, it's ok just make sure to shake the box. Make sure all the carrots have marinade on them.
- Let the carottes in the marinade in the fridge until the next day (at least for 18 hours). Do not hesitate to shake or turn the box to make sure there is marinade on every carrots mm².