Creativity often arises out of constraint
On a Sunday morning, a friend invited us at the last minute for late breakfast.
I struggled to get the vegan ingredients I was looking for. This is how this recipe was created.
I made the mini apple and speculoos spread turnovers several times since then and they are well appreciated.
I hope you enjoy them too!
Mini apple and speculoos spread turnovers
- round shaped cookie cutter
- pastry brush
- 1 tsp margarine
- 1 puff pastry
- speculoos spread
- 1 tbsp plant based milk
- dash of lemon
- agava sirup
- 150 grams of apple
- Peel the apple and cut it into small cubes
- Put the margarine in a small pot
- add in the apple cubes and cook for 5 minutes
- Remove the pot from the heat and add in a dash of lemon
- Take the puff pastry out of the fridge
- with a round shaped cookie cutter, make 5 cm large circles
- prick one circle out of two with a fork
- Preheat the oven at 180°C
- Put approximately 1/2 tsp of speculoos spread and 1 tsp of apples at the center of each pricked pastry circle
- Cover each pricked pastry circle with the remaining non pricked pastry circles
- fold back the bottom dough on the top one so that the filling will not leak out of the mini turnover while baking. You can decorate the pastry if you wish to
- mix the plant based milk with a bit of agava sirup
- brush the top pastry with this mix
- to avoid wasting pastry, you can make a turnover with the dough that remains after you made all the circles
- bake for 10 to 15 minutes. The cooking time depends on the oven so you have to check frequently if the mini turnovers are baked